Friday, August 24, 2012

Alone on the page, I speak to silence because nobody knows that I am here, writing this. Someday people may come and see this relic. Or not.

I wrote a play based on a prompt. Not my normal preference. But it got a bit twisted and that worked for me. The prompt was a tennis racquet. It could have been written with the racquet being some sort of minor artifact in the play that didn't have a connection to the story line but served as a simple prop. I didn't want to go there. I wanted it to be relevant. But what? A tennis play? I don't think so. But, what if the tennis racquet wasn't a tennis racquet at all, but an antennae, disguised as a racquet, and what if that racquet belonged to an alien, who was your neighbor of 16+ years. And what if that racquet improved your game? (And why when I write "racquet" do I get the squiggly red underline? I've checked the spelling, it's right, but the computer wants "croquet" instead. Silly computer.)

Anyway, I wrote the play, my 24 of the 31 days project about two neighbors "not" talking about aliens on earth using disguised antennae to communicate with their home-world. I wrote it to ten pages because there's a play festival that I want to submit to. I just hope it's not to subtle for the readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment