Thursday, September 27, 2012

Writing to have a slow conversation with myself

So, A Place For Everything, is available on Amazon.com as a ePub for the kindle. It's a fun story and I hope you take the opportunity to buy and read it. And comment on it and rate it. And tell your friends to do all of the above. :)

Went camping this last weekend for a few days in Yosemite. Didn't bring a computer, but I did bring notebooks for various stories and plays I'm working on. I'm  not sure how other writers work, but for me - these days - I don't often write the actual play or story in a notebook and then transfer to the computer. What I do is use the notebook to have a discussion with myself. I may write dialogue or bits of description that I'll put in the actual piece, but mostly it's description and questions and answers to other questions. Writing all that down, rather than just thinking about it and then typing the story or play has a purpose. Again,  this is about me. My mind shoots all over the place. When I'm writing, I have to slow down a bit so the thoughts are a bit more complete when they reach the page. Also, the faster I think and write, the sloppier my writing gets - to the point I can't even decipher it. So when that happens, it's a reminder to ease back on the brain throttle a bit.
When I return to the computer I do not slavishly refer to the notes I've written. Most of the time I never look at them except to find a name or a bit of interesting dialogue that I did want to include in a play or story. I recall the ideas I'd worked out and often now have a direction to go where I might not have had before. All that writing has fixed much of what I was thinking and then writing into my brain. So I don't need all that stuff I wrote. It's just part of my thinking process.
I do still write whole stories and plays in notebooks, but that's a different situation. And it's not what I did while camping. I often need more isolation - from all people - to write out by hand a story or play.
The thought or suggestion here is that if you are typing up a story or play and you get stuck, you might consider just writing a conversation between yourself and yourself. Writing by hand is slower even than typing. And slowing yourself down gives your brain time to better congeal your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment