Monday, January 5, 2015

Pace slows as I check for sink-holes.

Day five. Wasn't sure I was going to get anything done. I'm solely in charge of the child during the day and we had music class and shopping to do. Those took a big chunk of the morning. Then stuff around the house. I wrote a page while she napped, but I figured that would be it. That wasn't a problem as I was ahead of the page count already.
But, San Jose Sharks had a 5pm start which meant I had more time on the computer after they won and now I have 31 pages of the script done.
I also wrote some notes in my physical notebook. I know I'm not getting everything down as I write this first draft. And somethings occur to me as I reflect on what I have down so far. Believe it or not, but I'm actually moving tentatively through the play right now. I'm listening to the voices I've given each character, seeing how it feels to me, looking for things that I need to have set up earlier in the act or will need to set up now for the second act.
I sometimes realize that I've forgotten something. In this case, it's something big. Howard was supposed to pull his hand out of his coat pocket to open the kitchen door for Maybelle, only to spill a pocket full of small pieces of paper onto the floor. Then he suddenly realizes that he forgot to put the new paper in the other pocket and he no longer knows which one was the new piece. It's kind of an important plot point that sets up for deep into act II. And I just realized I'd forgotten to write it in as I was writing this blog post.
There's a few others but I'll get them on the second draft. All of that will effect the length of the first act. I'm just worried that it's not enough to push the page count to 50+ without looking like fluff and filler.
Here's some from today:

-----

FEUR
No it's not. James can go live with Jim. At least he has family.

JAMES
Biologically, I have family. Emotionally and physically, I don't. Unless I count you guys and apparently Feur has already counted me out.

BARBA
It doesn't matter, the both of you, because we are staying right here.

FEUR
Until we're evicted by the bank.
(His attention is now focused on the toast.)

BARBA
Not if we come up with a solution.

JAMES
What solution? We need to talk to Tina, find out how bad things are and if she has an idea. Maybe she can talk to the bank?

BARBA
I've never been in this kind of situation myself. I'm just surprised she let it happen.

FEUR
Why can't we just accept the fact that this is all coming to an end? What's wrong with moving on? We've done it before, when the circus let us down. We didn't stay where it wasn't worth staying. We packed our bags and left. I think we should move to the town where this jam is made. As a suggestion.

AMEERAH
(O.S.)
James –
(James's phone rings.)
– Your phone!

JAMES
(Digs out his phone.)
Hello?

BARBA
Maybe this place is worth staying for. We know everyone here. Everyone here has a shared background. We don't have to explain ourselves. We just get to be our selves.

JAMES
(To phone.)
Well, it's good to hear your voice, too.

FEUR
(To Barba.)
Hold that that.
(To James.)
It's him, isn't? I knew it!

JAMES
(Shaking his head. Speaks into phone.)
Hold on a second.
(To Feur and Barba.)
No, it's not him. It's Gladius. He says 'hello.'
(Listens to phone.)

FEUR
Hey, yourself.
(To self)
Is there any more toast?
(Goes to look on sideboard.)

BARBA
James?

JAMES
(To Barba.)
Huh?

BARBA
Did Gladius ever find help for his acid reflux?

JAMES
Hang on.
(To phone.)
Gladius, how's the acid reflux, any better?
(Listens.)

FEUR
There's no more toast.

BARBA
Go get some.

JAMES
(To Barba.)
No improvement. Says he's given up the sideshow.

FEUR
(As he goes to kitchen door.)
What's a sword swallower do when he can't swallow swords any more?
(Opens kitchen door.)
Tina? Sterk? Can I get some more toast?
(Goes back to his seat.)

JAMES
(Listening to phone and then speaking to Barba and Feur.)
He says he's got several jobs. One at the cutlery section at Macy's and then knife sharpening at the local Ace Hardware.

BARBA
Makes sense.

JAMES
(To phone.)
Well, hey, Gladius, thanks for calling and I hope things improve.
(Listens.)
Move here? Oh, um, you know, let me talk to Tina and I'll get back to you.
(Listens. Tina enters with toast on a plate.)
Right. You take care, too. Bye bye.
(Ends phone call.)

TINA
(Taking toast to Feur.)
Talk to Tina about what?

JAMES
It was Gladius, looking for a place to stay.

TINA
Well, did you tell him what a... a mess I've made of things?

(Tina plops down in a chair and cries into a hanky. Barba moves to comfort her.)

BARBA
Tina, honey. You didn't make a mess of things.

TINA
I lost our house! How is that not making a mess of things!? I put every dime into this place. I have nothing, now. I don't have a home, I don't have any more savings left, and soon I won't have any of you. And I can't blame you. Who wants to be around someone who can't even keep a Siamese twin act together. Excuse me.
(Exits to kitchen, still sobbing.)

BARBA
Tina! Wait!
(Exits behind Tina.)

FEUR
She's right, you know. We've at least got savings and retirement money to fall back on.

-----

And there you go. Until tomorrow. (I hope.)

No comments:

Post a Comment