Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sometimes you just have to play hard to get.

Today's tally is eleven pages.
Several pages were written in my notebook from the other day, but I hadn't counted them before, so it's fair. I hope.
The eleven pages I wrote today come at the end of Act II. This is not a normal procedure for me. When I get stuck on a piece I will often mull over it for days. As the goal is to finish the play before the end of the month, I knew I couldn't afford to use my time just thinking. I needed to be active as well. Active in the sense that I'm putting words on paper, not just thinking about the.
With that in mind, I started working on the ending of the play. I knew, roughly, how it was supposed to go. Yesterday I did a quick outline and today I did a more detailed outline. Then I changed the ending from a Pollyanna kind of ending - where they win the lottery - to one more painful - where they don't win the lottery - and must decide to work together, make sacrifices, and pull through as a family. So no deus ex machina saving the play at the end. I wrote the scene after that, where James calls Jim on the phone to solicit and receive help first. That's sort of the end of the play. Then I wrote the lottery scene. I'm working my way backwards.
Here's the point: while I was working on all that, I solved some of the problems keeping me from working on the first act. I had consciously ignored it, it got jealous, and hit on my through my sub-conscious. Now I have more details for the play and it seems to be rolling along even better.
That doesn't mean I'm going to have a stage ready play by the end of the month, but it does mean I'll have a play. Hopefully a play worth working on. Time will tell.
Here's the lottery:

-----

AMEERAH
(Entering.)
It's time for the numbers.
(She's fiddling with a tiny radio. We hear static.)
Now you'll see. You will all see. Ameerah still has the sight.
(She sets down her pad of paper and adjust the tiny radio until we hear the lottery voice.)

HOWARD
(Running around passing out lottery tickets.)
Please, everyone, help out. I can't read them all by myself.
(Sterk enters.)
Excellent timing, Sterk, you get one, too.

STERK
What? Oh, a lottery ticket?

HOWARD
For the house. Listen for the numbers.

AMEERAH
Quiet!

(Everyone hushes and listens.)

LOTTERY
Good evening, everyone. It's time for tonight's lottery numbers.

HOWARD
Here we go.

AMEERAH & MAYBELLE
Sh!

LOTTERY
Our first number is... 43.

AMEERAH & JAMES
I got that one.

LOTTERY
The second number... 30.

AMEERAH & MAYBELLE
Oh, got it!

LOTTERY
And the third number... 32.

AMEERAH & BARBA
Yep, thirty-two!

LOTTERY
Next.... the fourth number is 44.

AMEERAH, HOWARD, JAMES, & FEUR
Got it!

LOTTERY
The fifth number.... is 53.

AMEERAH & BARBA
Check.

LOTTERY
Now for our powerball number... Sixteen!

AMEERAH, STERK & MAYBELLE
Yes!

AMEERAH
I did it! I told you I would do it! We are millionaires. What do you say now, Feur?
(Long pause as she sees crestfallen faces.)
What? You are envious, I do not blame you. But the money is for the house. I have no need for it all.

BARBA
Ameerah?

AMEERAH
Yes? What is it? You are not happy all of you? Is it too much money?

JAMES
There is no money. None of the tickets had all of the numbers.

AMEERAH
But I heard you all saying the numbers I had picked.

MAYBELLE
Howard? You need to tell her.

AMEERAH
(Suspicious.)
Tell me what? You didn't cheat me? Cheat the house?

HOWARD
No, ma'am. What happened was that I mixed up the papers. I still had the ones from the last couple of months. I didn't know which one was which, so I bought all of the sets of numbers. I... I don't understand how I didn't buy the numbers that were picked for today.

AMEERAH
If you were unsure, why did you not come ask me?

MAYBELLE
I told him, to.

HOWARD
I was afraid you'd be angry with me.

AMEERAH
And how do you think I feel now?

JAMES
You checked your pockets?

HOWARD
How dense do you think I am, Mr. Rutherford?
(Pulls numbers out of right pocket.)
When I am done buying the numbers I put them in my right pocket.
(Sticks hand in left pocket.)
When Ms Ameerah gives me the numbers I put them –
(Slowly pulls out the missing slip of paper.)
How did miss this?

FEUR
(To James and Barba.)
I'll tell you how.

JAMES
Easy, Feur.

BARBA
Yes, don't act like your immune.

-----

Again, that's a first draft. Needs polishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment