Thursday, January 8, 2015

This is not the post you are looking for.

There is nothing to report on today because I have written nothing. I have thought a lot about the play, what I've written so far, what I need to write. While I am mentally drained from entertaining a 2 year old all day, the delay has happened for other reasons as well. I think the biggest block anchor, dragging me down, is where the play is at on page 34. I'm not sure I'm happy with it. So the best thing I can do is step back several pages and start again. Yes, I have an outline, but sometimes, as I'm typing, I wander off the reservation. Most likely that's because I didn't stick to the game plan closely enough.
Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to read through what I have. There are parts I know are missing and I'll weave those in as go along. When I get close to the end, where I believe I went astray, I'll copy everything up to that point into a new document. Then I'll start typing again, making sure I choose the right words to bend the play in the right direction.
Here's what I have for the last pages (32-34) right now:

-----

 BARBA
Tina! Wait!
(Exits behind Tina.)

FEUR
She's right, you know. We've at least got savings and retirement money to fall back on.

JAMES
Sterk will come through.

FEUR
He still going to propose? What's he got to offer?

JAMES
He's a good cook and he has a little saved. But I don't think that's what we need to be focused on. Not yet. Something just occurred to me.

FEUR
Oh, yeah? What?

JAMES
You've been carrying on about that jam for the last fifteen minutes.

FEUR
Yeah. You noticed, eh?

JAMES
You can taste it, can't you.

FEUR
I can. It's amazing.

JAMES
And your promise to Barba?

FEUR
Sh! Not yet. I'm not completely sure about this. I want to taste a few more things before I tell her.

JAMES
Got your foot in it now, Feur.

FEUR
The doctors said it would never happen. Since I never expected to taste again, what did it matter, agreeing to marry when I finally did.

JAMES
Maybe you should have taken Ameerah's prognostication more seriously.

FEUR
I take nothing about that woman seriously.

BARBA
(O.S.)
Well you tell me if I can help in any way.

FEUR
And, shush, you scoundrel. Don't breath a word of this.

(Barba enters.)

JAMES
Lips sealed.

BARBA
What's that?

FEUR
Nothing.

JAMES
I said I have an idea on the tip of my lips.

BARBA
Tip of your tongue.

JAMES
Yes. There, too.

FEUR
What idea?

JAMES
Between us, Ameerah, and Sterk, we probably have enough to save Tina's house.

BARBA
I don't think we have that much. She took out a third mortgage on the place.

FEUR
What!?

BARBA
She was just telling me.

JAMES
We could at least get her caught up and cover a few more months.

FEUR
That's wipe us all out. What then? Live on the street?

BARBA
No, it would give us time to find a long term solution. James is right. We need to talk to Ameerah and Sterk, see if they want to buy in.

JAMES
I'll need to check my accounts.

BARBA
We all do.

FEUR
We could walk down to the bank.

BARBA
We can check on the computer.

FEUR
There's no ice cream shop on the computer.

BARBA
You want ice cream?

FEUR
I want something cold. You want to come along, James?

JAMES
No, I can call my broker and get the numbers. So I'll just stay here.

BARBA
You're serious?

FEUR
It's a nice day. Why not? I'll get our coats?

BARBA
(Laughing.)
It's all very strange, but okay. To the bank and the ice cream shop.

-----

Expect some or a lot of that to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment